"I can't think without a pen in my hand!" - Me

"I can't think without a pen in my hand!" - Me

A Friendly Guide to Navigating this BLOG

If you have visited this blog before, you will notice I've made some changes. A Pen in My Hand is going to be dedicated to lighthearted anecdotes and whatever else I feel like writing. I have started another blog for topics that are more serious/spiritual in nature. See the link in the sidebar to visit that blog.

I sincerely hope you find something here worth reading; but if not, take heart. There are about six billion other blogs out there to choose from.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Today, I Love Technology!


Some days I hate the Internet. Today is not one of those days.
This morning my iPhone was working perfectly. Then, for some reason, it simply decided to play dead. I could not get it to turn on or off or respond in any way. After the initial panic wore off, I took a deep cleansing breath and sat down at my computer. I typed the following into my Google browser bar: "iPhone 4 won't turn on." Bam! The first hit was an article on some guy's blog talking about how his phone froze up. He described just my experience: "I pressed the home button. Nothing. I pressed the power button. Nothing. I plugged it in. Nothing. I connected it to my computer. Nothing."
"YES!" I thought. "This guy has been down my road. He feels my pain." Nothing was solved yet, but I felt better already.
Next he explained how HE Googled the problem and came up with the solution, which he proceeded to describe. I ran for my phone, tried his solution, and it worked! My phone was back and fully functional. Sweet!
But the real triumph of the World Wide Web came this evening when my son Curtis called me from his cell phone in North Carolina in a fit of frustration because he was having trouble finding a pizza place where he was supposed to meet some people. First he called for the phone number. Two seconds online yielded the number for Papa John's in Jacksonville. I texted Curtis the number so he could call for directions. We hung up.
Several minutes later, Curtis called me back to vent his frustration that he was still having trouble finding the place. Can you find a map? He asked. I found a map online, but it didn't have enough detail to help because I didn't know where he was starting out. Next I tried a satellite photo of the area. It had landmarks marked with labeled pins. I was able to scroll around, viewing a satellite photo of the entire area Curtis was driving in. Finally I found the landmarks he was seeing on the picture. Suddenly, it was like I was Air Traffic Control and he was my little twin engine plane in a pea-soup fog.
"You're OK," I said, "I've got ya. I'm going to fly you in. Do you see an Applebees?" I asked.
"No, but there's a Ruby Tuesdays," he answered.
"Is it on your right or your left?"
"Left."
"Then you need to turn around. You're going the wrong direction."
He turned around. "OK, it's on my right now."
"Keep going straight."
"I'm at a red light."
"I know, I can see it. There should be an Applebees on your left across the street."
"Yep, there it is."
The conversation went on like this for another minute or two until he spotted Papa John's on his right. "I'm here. Thanks!" he said.
"No problem. Enjoy your pizza!" I replied.
I hung up my phone with a flourish, visualizing myself in a glass tower, pulling off my headset and wiping my brow. "He's there," I said dramatically to my husband. "He made it."
Tom spun his office chair to face me. "That was the most stressful phone call I've ever listened to," he said.
"Well, yeah, I guess that's true," I conceded. "But you have to admit, it's kind of amazing that it was possible!"
Now that it's over, I'm trying to remember how we handled these types of situations before we had cell phones at our ears and computers at our fingertips 24-7. I'm trying to remember…Wait! …Nope, I got nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"little twin engine plane in a pea-soup fog..."

And both you and Tom in office chairs? Verily like unto Air Traffic Control!

deb meyers